Monday, September 5, 2011

Why I joined VS 185X

I am a Berkeley student, entering my junior year and I am very interested in VS 185x: Songs and Places.

My name is James Piacentini, I was born in Great Neck, which is a Long Island suburb on the north shore close to Queens.  I moved to Southern California when I was 5, and grew up in Santa Monica. I am majoring in Architecture with a minor in History of the Built Environment. 

I have been playing acoustic and electric guitar for 10 years, and begun to study the piano this summer, and I have a basic understanding of music theory.  I spent much of my life taking art classes, have taken ED 11A, and spent two weeks this summer in France drawing and painting.

I am fascinated by the topic of the class - Songs and Places - because the relationship between a culture and its music to me is one of the most intricate as well as one of the truest and most powerful elements of understanding a society and a place.  Music is one of the few things that has existed in every modern human society going back over 35,000 years ago.  To me, that is just amazing. Because music is biologically engrained in the human psyche, and our brains are naturally attuned to find melody and rhythm, music is such an integral part of identity, just as is one's physical environment.  I like the topic of the class because it combines all the social and emotional elements of music with a more scientific approach to the way culture and environment affect and are affected by music.

Also, I love to draw, paint and write, and during my experience, music always accentuates and improves the visualization process.  To be able to really explore that in depth, and to share my work and learn from others is a such a rewarding experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment